Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Own Private Idaho

I think that most extended family sets have that one family that always has the fun toys. You know, jet skis, boats, motorcycles, etc.. In my family, it was/is the Masoners in Heyburn, Idaho (you know, the metropolis between Rupert and Burley, duh). Since I was a wee child, we would visit the Idaho cousins every summer and it was always, and I do mean always something I looked forward to. And it still is. We've started a new tradition of getting the now grown up cousins together  every summer on the weekend after the 4th of July. 

I've moved a lot in my life. And as a kid, we seemed to move every other year, sometimes only a few blocks away. But not the Masoners. They moved once when I was about 4 years old and that was across the street to the house with the boat dock on the Snake River. In a way, their house represents the only constant "home" of my past.

The three cousins that were once kids there are now parents themselves with a minimum of 3 children each. They still live in town, though some moved all the way to Burley. Rebels. My Aunt Joanne still lives in the 50's style brick rambler but my Uncle Gary, sadly, passed away last year. Fortunately, he passed on the love of "playing hard" to his kids and grandkids. And hopefully to me.  I miss him.

Now, our kids are getting to enjoy each other's company and the fun that I had for so many years. And it's still just as fun for me.  


6 comments:

mike said...

how did i get adopted once a year, for just a day?

mike said...

what a blast! there's no doubt in my mind that someday you will be the fun uncle/extended family. if nothing else, someday scout will be blogging about her fond memories of her "uncle" john. or else she will just think them and they will be broadcast worldwide on the psychic interweb available approximately 2045. cool.

Unknown said...

Ha... nice one Mike.

That looks like fun.

Finn and Tracey Family said...

That tube run looks awesome! My kids would love it! Maybe we will have to extend our Idaho experience beyond Lava Hot Springs! Nice post.

k.j. said...

btw, i am the "mike" that was actually funny. i didnt know i was logged in as him. also, the real "mike" meant to say "how DO i get adopted..." so confusing.

John said...

The tube slide is at the raft river exit on I-86. It's a private home but they let anybody stop by and use the slide and zip line. They may take donations. It's a sod farm so it's nothing but rolling hills of green grass. Here's the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=burley,ID&ie=UTF8&ll=42.594291,-113.239689&spn=0.099075,0.109177&z=13